President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the USO in 1941 to form an alliance among the many agencies that mobilized to support the troops when the United States entered World War II.
The USO continues its original mission while constantly adapting to the evolving needs of today’s servicemen and women. The USO in Corpus Christi has been located in several places in Corpus Christi. The first was the Kenedy home on upper Broadway. The YMCA hosted us, the city of Corpus Christi even built a building for us on Shoreline Drive. The Corpus Christi Art Center in now located there. We have been on NASCC in several places through the years. Since the late 1970’s to the early 1980’s we have been in Building 3 where we still reside. It is our intention to build a state-of-the art USO Center that will be home to generations of military to come.
In 1992 USO South Texas raised over $2,000,000 to build an 11,500 sq ft center at NAVAL STATION Ingleside- Mine Warfare Center. Due to BRAC, the base closed in 2010, the property reverted to the Port of Corpus Christi Authority, they later sold the property. The USO received no funds from the Port. That is history, we are Texas Proud and will move forward to be the best we can be for our military here in South Texas.